Monday, 8 August 2011
Your Opinion
With the Central Banks recent stand on a Cashless (Nigerian) Society, what problems are our traders likely to face?
Thursday, 4 August 2011
PAPER REVIEW
MINIMUM WAGE: AT LAST, FG CONCEDES TO LABOUR
After several weeks of negotiation between the Federal Government and organised labour following the disagreement on the mode of implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the former Tuesday agreed to demands of the latter that all cadres of civil servants should benefit from the new wage regime. Consequently, workers on grade levels 1 to 17 in the federal civil service are to have some money added to their current salary, as an increment arising from the new National Minimum Wage Act. Both parties also agreed, after a two-hour closed door meeting, that the implementation of the new pay structure would commence this month. In a communiqué read by the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chief Chukwuemeka Wogu, the Federal Government gave the assurance that the new wage would be implemented and the issue of relativity would be taken care of. “The detailed negotiation on relativity adjustment with respect to the implementation of the minimum wage has been sorted out and agreed upon. Modalities will be worked out and these modalities that will be worked out will be worked out by the joint committee and will be tabled before the national executive councils of NLC and TUC,” he read. Briefing newsmen after the meeting, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Abdulwahed Omar said the discussion on relativity would have been concluded by July 31, but unfortunately, it was segmented because of one or two areas of non-agreement. “Majorly in the area of adjustment across the board, as a result of compliance with the new Minimum Wage Act, this adjustment now cuts across board in order to maintain some reasonable relativity,” he said. He said all labour centres would make formal presentations to their respective organs in a meeting by today and would communicate to the government whatever agreements were reached. President-General of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) Peter Esele also confirmed that the issue of relativity would be discussed at the National Executive Council (NEC). ThisDayFRSC BEGINS NEW NUMBER PLATES THIS MONTH
The Federal Road Safety Corps is to commence the issuance of new vehicle number plates this month in its renewed determination to harmonise all existing modes of licensing of vehicles nationwide. The FRSC, which said Wednesday, 3 August 2011
PAPER REVIEW
VICTORY FOR LABOUR AS WAGE TALKS CONTINUE TODAY
The Federal Government and organised Labour appear to have adopted a waiting game in their bid to resolve the crisis generated by the delayed implementation of the minimum wage. At the resumed talks on Sunday which lasted five hours, Minister of Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu, who briefed the media on the outcome of the meeting, said the parley would resume for further discussions on the way forward. Wogu said: “Both government and Labour have agreed to meet again on Tuesday (today) for further discussion.” But speaking outside the venue, Acting General Secretary of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Owei Lakemfa, claimed government has agreed to pay the wage bill across board. Lakemfa hinted that what would be discussed today would be the modalities for the implementation of the minimum wage. He said: “There are no contentious issues now. Government has agreed to pay across board and everybody will benefit from the wage. It is a very simple thing. We are having negotiation. It is not about dictatorship and so we will agree on some facts and we need to further look at what to do. There is nothing strange about that. We are human beings.” Lakemfa dispelled the notion that workers might lose confidence in the NLC leadership for not standing firm on the negotiation so far. He stated: “The people know we are representing them and Nigerian workers know that we will never sellout.” But there were conflicting signals as to what transpired at the meeting since no concrete agreement was reached. MARKET OPENS WITH 0.37% RISE
The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) All-Share Index rose by 0.37 per cent to close at 23,916.90 just as some companies reported impressive results for the half year ended June 30, 2011. The benchmark gauge, which fell for three days last week, closed at 23,916.90 when trading opened for the week Monday. Similarly, the market capitalisation of equities added N28 billion, rising from N7.622 trillion to close at N7.650 trillion. Market operators attributed the positive move partly to investors’ reactions to some of the results announced by the companies, which showed higher profitability. Meanwhile, investors traded 268.308 million shares valued at N2.143 billion in 5,080 deals led by the banking sub-sector with 180.051 million shares worth N1.639 billion exchanged in 2,901 deals. The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) All-Share Index rose by 0.37 per cent to close at 23,916.90 just as some companies reported impressive results for the half year ended June 30, 2011. The benchmark gauge, which fell for three days last week, closed at 23,916.90 when trading opened for the week Monday. Similarly, the market capitalisation of equities added N28 billion, rising from N7.622 trillion to close at N7.650 trillionFG MOVES TO ACTUALISE $28BN GREENFIELD REFINERIES
The Federal Government is making moves to begin the construction of three Sunday, 24 July 2011
PAPER REVIEW
BANKING & FINANCE
REPS OKAY ISLAMIC BANKING, CASH LIMIT
The House of Representatives has endorsed the Islamic banking and N150, 000 cash withdrawal limit introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The endorsement came after an intensive briefing provided by the CBN Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi on the two initiatives on the floor of the House yesterday. The briefing, which was applauded severally by members, brought out the benefits of the non-interest banking and the N150, 000 cash withdrawal limit. Lawmakers occasionally burst into thunderous applause as the CBN boss explained the motives behind the initiatives, especially when he challenged opinion and political leaders to lead by example and appreciate initiatives that would take the country from the doldrums. Sanusi told the House that the first memo for approval of licenses for Islamic banking was received and approved by the CBN during the tenure of his predecessor, Prof. Charles Soludo. The apex bank boss insisted that ifAMCON, ACCESS BANK TO INJECT FRESH N600BN INTO INTERCONTINENTAL BANK
As the September 30 deadline given by the Central Bank ofCAPITAL MARKET
FG SELLS N70BN SOVEREIGN BONDS
The Federal Government has sold N70bn in three, five and 10-year sovereign bonds at its seventh debt auction of the year. The Debt Management Office said on Thursday that it sold N30bn of the three-year papers, N15bn of five-year and N25bn of 10-year papers. The debt office also said that the papers were due to mature in 2014, 2015 and 2018 respectively, adding that all the papers were reopening of previous issues. Reuters reported that yields were lower than at the previous auction in June, with the three-year paper allotted at a marginal rate of 10.24 per cent compared to 11.69 per cent last month, while the five-year instruments were allotted at 10.70 per cent, down from 12.75 per cent. It added that the 10-year papers were allotted at a marginal rate of 11.49 per cent. The Central Bank of Thursday, 21 July 2011
PAPER REVIEW
ZENITH BANK POSTS N35BN PROFIT
Zenith Bank Plc Monday reported impressive financial results for the second quarter (Q2) ended June 30, 2011 with profit after tax (PAT) rising by 44 per cent. The results made available to stockbrokers during trading by the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) showed gross earnings of N122.84 billion, up by 27 per cent from N96.85 billion in corresponding period of 2010. Pre-tax profit rose by 38.2 per cent to N35.05 billion from N25.34 billion in the 2011, while profit after tax grew by 44 per cent from N21.3 billion to N30.67 billion in 2011. Also, margins firmed strongly as pre- and post- tax margins rose from 26.16 per cent and 21.99 per cent 2010 to 28.53 per cent and 24.97 per cent in 2011. The Chairman of Zenith Bank Plc, Mr. Steve Omojafor, had told shareholders at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the bank recently that even in the face of very challenging operating environment, the bank had maintained its culture of outstanding performance and industry leadership. According to him, the bank remains committed to delivering superior returns to its shareholders. Shareholders of the bank received a dividend of N26.6 billion, which translates into 85 kobo per share for the year ended December 31, 2010. ThisDayFG OFFERS SMES N75BN CREDIT FACILITY
The Federal Government has offered to release N75bn to Small and Medium Scale Enterprises across the country as a credit facility to strengthen their capacity for job creation. The Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, disclosed that on Wednesday in
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)